Saturday, March 28, 2015

Get Ready for some FISH!

Walleye Warriors: The river crested last night at 6.93 ft above sea level and is now dropping. Fishing is always better on the drop. We tagged into several fish last night and enjoyed a great bite. Some throwbacks too. All jacks. Fishing pressure is heavier today but not as busy as you would think due to the cold and wind. But those on the river will get fish today. Sunday brings warmer temps and a SW 25 mph wind which will drop the river quickly for 24 hours. Early next week the bite will be fierce. Schroeders has been open all week but few visitors so far. More people today. If you usually go to Buttonwood (and now can't since it is closed) then you can pay to park at Schroeders and walk up to Buttonwood. Blue Grass is now open for parking on the Maumee side but is currently inaccessible due to high water. Can't cross yet. * * * Yesterday 1061 people visited my blog. So far today, 721 people have checked for an update. Within March: 18,000. In the last 3 years: 171,000. Thanks for relying on us here at Dr. Walleye's Place for all your Maumee River walleye news and river conditions. BTW, the yo-yos have hit the river. Last night we watched a boat of 3 guys drifting backward down the river with two guys standing up. The one in the middle nearly went overboard when the boat shifted. Dumb-dumbs. And for goodness sake, please, if you are boating, do not turn off your motor before you anchor. Unless you want to take a swim. Somebody will. Hope I get to see it! And remember to do what your mommy told you and pick up your trash when you leave. See you on the river! It's time to fish!!!

12 comments:

wdk said...

Fishing is still a little tough due to temps.a friend and myself both caught 3 fish a piece tonight in my boat out in front of meigs tonight it took 2.5 hrs once the temps warm up next week it should be game on! Good luck .

Unknown said...

Picked up 3 nice jacks today, 1 was 26 in 6lb + jack. Couldn't pick up a 4th that was legal, but a fum day! By weds, river will be ROCKING! And thanks for the updates Doc. Always appreciated!!

Unknown said...

I'm a first timer from Detorit, where can I fish from the shore with bad back??
Andy from Detroit

SlimJim said...

Doc...I have made several trips over the past few seasons and have always fished Bluegrass. I am reading the Bluegrass is currently inaccessible. Any suggestions as to where I might try this year? Thanks and I really enjoy you blog!

Chief Wahoo said...

I have always camped at buttonwood - going to Schroeder next week for first time any words of advice ... I have always heard you have to lock your stuff up there , where at buttonwood we have always left our stuff out all the time. Anyone have trouble at schroeders

Dr. Walleye said...

WKD and Gatlin: Way to go! GET THEM FISH! Andrew: I LOVE Detroit and go there as often as possible, usually to see a show or sports event. With the river high like now, I suggest the Towpath in Maumee for bank fishing. But it will be a long walk. You can also try under the bridge on the Perrysburg side and park at the lower lot of Ft Meigs, located just west of the bridge. SlimJim: Orleans and White St are the places for you right now. Once Bluegrass is open and accessible, I will post it. Chief Wahoo: I personally know the operators of Schroeders. They are really good people. I have not heard them talk of theft issues ever. I have camped down there a lot in the last 30 years and never had a problem. Whacker-H, please weigh in on this one.

Chief Wahoo said...

I figured it was false rumors- most people that camp obey by the law of what's not yours don't touch ! Thanks and look forward to seeing you all next week

Dbldip said...

Sounds good Doc, plan on hitting it hard this next week. Maybe the Birdman and Graybeard will even catch something besides a cold. The only thing I would worry about at Shroeders is Fisherboy stealing beer from my cooler! Good luck everyone!

Graybeard said...

Dbldip .Graybeard will not be fishing this year.Don't want to show you up..all your friends in the Green and Black trucks are here I guess they got here last night.Most fish I saw today were at White St Lot was full most of the boats were catching also.Wardens were there ,a lot of snaggers you could see the guys in the boats doing it .right in front of the wardens.Orleans was real slow .Racoon hole nothing .the sewer was a big fat ZERO .The guys that fish every year were there and said it really sucked.Ford st sucked also .a lot of disappointed people Ft Meigs also sucked .Wardens were in all their usual spots.looked like a lot of people walked down from Schroders.Some people came all the way to here to get ticketed seems like they could have done that at home and saved gas..Water was at the top of the sewer opening.

Graybeard said...

A lot of the fish at White St were big Females

fisherboy said...

I went crappie fishing. Only caught 5 but I did not have to walk far. Crappies were all 9 1/2 to 10 1/2.

BTW they even have keep out signs down by the river at BW according to friends who walked from Schroeder yesterday.

Unknown said...

I like to think we run a clean safe campground. Not to say there are no shenanigans (99% involve adult beverages)! However theft is not one! We want people to enjoy themselves and come back year after year. We have many campers who are there for the entire season and that list grows each year! There is a reason (besides the adult beverages) that they return! That being said, I would like to address the Buttonwood issue, I was told that they DO NOT want people walking through the park ie...soccer fields and camping area, that if they were to walk along the canal to where they can cross to the peninsula, they could access the river that way! I do let each parker know this if they are telling me that is where they want to fish! As always if you respect the rules, and the land there should be no issues!