Wednesday, February 17, 2016

2016 Is Here!

Yes, we are here again this year at Dr. Walleye's place! I welcome you all back! Channel 13 had a short segment about this year's run: https://weather.com/news/toledo/wtvg/video/walleye-run-expected-to-start-early if you want to get excited! I get their point about not having ice to break out this year, but we'll have to wait and see about an early start. Stay tuned. I will keep you informed. For the last 2 years we haven't even touched the water until the third week of March due to ice. It would be nice to get back to fishing on March 1 like previous years. The river is flowing, and there isn't much thick ice around to speak of except in the slack water areas close to shore. There is ice all along the edges but that will break up with a good warm rain. The western basin got a shot of ice earlier this week, but it will break up fast with rain later this week. Remember that you can chat with me on Instagram anytime @drwalleye and I will do my best to answer everyone's questions or respond to thoughts!

12 comments:

live4fishn said...

cant wait to get out there

fisherguy said...

My favorite time of year! That angler of the year trophy is mine this year live4fishin. lol

live4fishn said...

we will see about that...

Dr. Walleye said...

The river yesterday would go from a bunch of ice flowing down to none at all. The back channel above the lower lot at Ft. Meigs is still iced over. Fisherguy and live4fishn: welcome back! How do DBLDIP and I get in on that trophy? DBLDIP is known for Catfish trophies, but I hear he can still catch a walleye or two!

Unknown said...

Still want to ice fish.

fisherboy said...

Doc did you get a chance to try your flasher out this winter?

Dr. Walleye said...

Hey Fisherboy! Yes, I love my new Vexilar. I will never ice fish without it. Wow!...the accuracy and 'knowing' when to get ready for a fish is outstanding. Now I have to figure out how to connect it to my waders!!

Greenskeeper said...

Hello All ::::: My wife and I are planning our first ever Maumee walleye adventure. We intend to fish from our grumman sport boat. Can you tell me the best launch site with trailer parking? Also how much weight do you recommend I add to my 15# anchor?
Thanks in advance for any help.

P.S. any other tips would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Dr. Walleye said...

Welcome Greenskeeper! Glad to hear that you're taking the time and money to head our way. Depending on the time of walleye season, I recommend Schroeder Farms Campground. Their launch is easy in and easy out. It'll cost you a few bucks, and I will post their opening day when I hear from Whacker-H, who runs the campground. But you will avoid the huge and annoying crowd at the Maple Street launch. Those are the only options in Perrysburg. The river is mainly rock bottom with some spots of sand. I wouldn't add much more weight or you risk losing it--stuck in rock.

Greenskeeper said...

Thanks Dr. Walleye! We will be reading all of your posts in hopes to have a good first outing. The last thing that we want is to have a poor time due to lack of info. or bad info! More importantly We don't want to be a burden upon the seasoned anglers that already know the ropes!!!

Good Day

Greenskeeper....... :)

Dbldip said...

Good to see the ol Blog up and at em again. Doc W's info is pretty darn accurate for the most part except about my fishing skills. He could learn a thing or 2 from us older salts like myself and the Birdman or the ancient salts Greybeard and Fisherboy! See ya all at the river. I did see 2 guys fishing the west end of Bluegrass last Saturday during the warm spell, they didn't have any luck that I saw.

Graybeard said...

Dbldip. you should live this long.If you grow some hair on your ugly face you might make it.and get a front license plate