Thursday, April 3, 2014

I'm the real walleye, yes I'm the DOC WALLEYE!

Walleye Warriors! Fish were biting yesterday as seen in the above pic of my 2 females. The one is my first Fish Ohio of the year, running 29" 8 lbs 3 oz. Glad I am on the board! I had a few throwbacks and also several carp. It was a blast! I saw several jacks caught too. DBLDIP had to take a charity fish thanks to The Birdman who limited out, but he'll be back to fight another day. The Closer went head-to-head with possibly his biggest fish ever too. The run is ON! But the PEAK is yet to come. * * * The river will rise by nightfall due to a steady rain. We are at 3.7 on NOAA right now, but they project us to flood out completely by Saturday. My guess is that the high water spots will still be accessible this weekend though. Leave your hip boots at home. * * * Thanks to my new followers and also the increased activity on Instagram. I am glad that many visitors check regularly and are commenting more. Most importantly, I am glad you find usefulness out of your visits here. In the last month I had 21,000 page views made up of 1,400 unique visitors/people. That's huge! Mobile devices are accessing the blog more than computers now too. As I said last year, I am not going to monetize my blog and make money on it since it would cause ads to pop up. I would rather keep this blog clean and easy. Come on back all season for updates. Your contributions to the blog by commenting make the site that much more valuable to people. So sign up, comment, follow, and have a step up on all other Maumee River anglers. * * * The hot spots now are the Towpath, Ft. Meigs, and Schroeders. Parking and/or launching at Schroeders is quick, easy, and fun. There are good people down there to talk with and get fishing advice. Once this rain passes, the river crests and then falls again, you will see a tremendous amount of walleye action. My name is Dr. Walleye, and you have my word on it.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for your commitment to posting all of this great info for all of us to use, really appreciate it! Sounds like this weekend and the beginning of next week should still be pretty good. Planning to be up there April 6-7, I have a place to stay on the Sandusky River so thought that I might try there on Sunday then head over to the Maumee on Monday. Would you recommend trying both out? If so, got any different advice for the Sandusky? Thanks again!

Unknown said...

I took next week off work to fish the river. I'm really hoping that this rain does not flood out the river and slow the bite down.

Dr. Walleye said...

I'm a Maumee River guy, Derek, so I don't know how to help you decide. In general, folks agree that the Maumee produces more fish each year and has better access points. Adam: next week should be great fishing especially once the river recedes.

Dbldip said...

Thankx for the morale support there Doc. Lost the belt after holding on to it for almost a year. Knew I shouldn't have answered the phone when Birdman called. But I'll be back!

Graybeard said...

at 5 pm the river at Ft Wayne was up 7.5 ft..and at Waterville it was only up 6 inches ..I will be interesting to see what tomorrow will bring and if anyone will get trapped on the Island










Unknown said...

Many Thanks Dr. Walleye for the shout out!! And thanks for the blog! I check it every day to see how everyone is doing.

Unknown said...

With more rain in the forecast for tomorrow do you think fishing will be possible this weekend? when do you think the river will recede?

Dr. Walleye said...

Fishing today was tough on those who dared to go out. The water is spiking fast! BEWARE! The river has risen to 6.9 ft Thursday evening. Projections are worse than expected. We could be facing a complete washout this weekend including Orleans and White St. All the trees stuck in the river will likely be heading down river, so boating is discouraged. Once it crests and goes back down, we will see more fish.

Graybeard said...

River is at 8.95 flow 34900 at Waterville and water temp down to 40 degrees.water level at Ft Wayne looks like it has crested.

DBLDIP time for the Raccoon Hole ????

fisherboy said...

Only the deer